Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"You Shouldn't Do That!"

... was what Ma'am Toby Melissa Collas Monsod said to our class when she discovered that she taught most of the people in my Micro class both Econ 101 and Econ 102. She's right; it was sick to choose a 1-3PM class (Econ 102 - Microeconomics) AND a 3-5PM class (Econ 101 - Macroeconomics) on the same day, in the same room, under the same teacher. But I've never been good at arranging my class schedule - some acute suicidal attempt like this was bound to happen. Not that I consider studying Econ much of a near death experience. It's actually fun. It stimulates mental exercise, as Ma'am Monsod enjoys pointing out every now and then.

The issue, however, is that I'm a bit weak at remembering the stuff I learn in class. I like to think my comprehension is quick and somewhat accurate, but my memory is an entirely different matter. Which is ironic, considering that my plans after graduating include getting into Law school. Hmfph. We'll see if I'll survive the first sem.

Another reason I like Economics is that I'm right beside everyone else in terms of digesting the topics. In Statistics (the other 'nosebleed-inducing' subject I'm taking right now) I'm way behind majority of my classmates. I'm not sure if this has something to do with my intense aversion to numbers; maybe it's that or maybe I'm just too careless to be a statistician. I have a plan to cure this Math-hate of mine though. When I finally get round to using my 'English' advantage by tutoring Korean students and earn money, money, money, I'll enroll myself in Kumon. Again.

http://www.kumon.com.ph/

It worked wonders before. Why shouldn't it work now? X_X

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Minsan may class ako na over 150 kami sa isang room kasi lahat halos ng estudyante gusto yung time na yun. Sobra. Ang sikip. Dapat yung iba kasi panggabi na. Eh mabait yung prof namin. Ang init init sobra.

beaple leone michaelmas said...

haha! sa school of econ may aircon lahat ng classroom! :D

~yabang anoh??!

Anonymous said...

naku nosebleed basta ayoko din ng math. pagka magaling ka yata sa english medyo malabo ang math sayo eh? tsaka nakakatuwa ka, alam mo nagtutor din ako ng koreans dati, sa university. ayun nosebleed din ako.

Anonymous said...

hi sandy! you went to kumon? what for?
anyway just dropped by to say hi! hi! :)

Pinoy Wit said...

at least you wanna be a lawyer not a doctor. imagine what would happen if you were in the operating room and you suddenly forgot... hehehe

i still hate math sandy. i wish i had your drive to get rid of "math-hate." i will try to steer sofia to the math side. i think people who are good in math have a bigger cut of the world's wealth. hehe. i don't want my poor kid to beg to get paid for her talent like her mom does.

you know what, since you're taking a course like econ, maybe you can apply for a position in UN or something. i don't think you're required to be a math whiz there

beaple leone michaelmas said...

whoa. that shocked me a bit. 5 comments?????? wheee!

*i'm a comment-whore, hurrah!*

prinsesamusang,
mahirap bang magturo ng mga korean? kung heavy yun.... pwede naman akong magtutor ng mga rich kids from Miriam and Ateneo.... pero english lang kasi yung pwede kong ituro eh, hahahaha.

aimee!
did you take kumon, too? i studied math there, for a year or so.... i think it actually worked 'cause suddenly Sir Laga began asking me 'What went wrong' whenever I'd miss an item in our math quizzes...

Ma'aM G,
when I was younger, I actually dreamed of being a pedia... but then I thought of blood and nyargh.