Monday, February 11, 2008

A Sunshiny Night

February 8, 2008

4:47 pm

Eating oatmeal


Beloved Nonexistent Reader,


As of the moment, I am crying buckets of tears, and it’s not because my pseudo-boyfriend has left me or because I only fully comprehended the impact of Heath Ledger’s death to my life minutes ago. No, I’m crying because I’m sick. Sick. Sick. Sick. I feel like the poor white mouse we drowned in homemade organic pesticide back in third year. And oh, miserable rodent, I am so sorry for having done that to you. Now I understand.


But sad tales of unfortunate mice aside, last night the girls and I threw a semi-grand debut for our dear friend Sunshine! Similar to the traditional Filipino concept of a girl’s coming-of-age party, Sunshine danced with eighteen gentlemen and listened to the conjured-out-of-thin-air speeches of eighteen of her dearest girl friends. Unlike the traditional debut, however, we served the guests pizza and relied on orange juice for The Toast. Pretty resourceful, methinks.


It truly was a smashing night for all of us present in that celebration but I only hope Sunshine thought it was one of the best nights of her life. It was her night after all. When I thought about it though, the celebration could be seen two ways: from the celebrator’s point of view and from the party organizers’ point of view. Although I’m not very sure what Sunshine thought of last night, I’m quite clear about my purpose for helping set up that party. I only wanted her to have one last night of childhood, a night to remember everything that she was and anticipate everything that she can be. Traditional mindset, true, but it’s only traditional because most people find it sensible.


And now I must take flight because my colds are making it difficult for me to think straight. But I really, really would like to congratulate myself for attending all my classes today – perfect attendance still up and running!

Toodles! Poof…

sandybeaple

3 comments:

Pinoy Wit said...

tsk, tsk, tsk, i do exist sandy. i am not a creation of your cold deranged mind. i'm real, i say, real! hehehehe.

ooooooo. we have a very different take on this debut thing. hehehe. daughters and mothers do disagree. don't they?

Anonymous said...

I think they do. Wahaha!

Pinoy Wit said...

that's strange. aren't mothers supposed to be all agog over their daughters' debuts. i hope my daughter will not hate me for not wanting her to have a debut.

well, maybe she can have one but i'm coming dressed as resident evil incarnate. hehehe