Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Hungry Glutton

Earlier today, I wandered into a coffee shop in Katipunan, empty-handed except for the O.Henry book Trisha lent me last night. I often dreamed of this moment when I was younger, me looking every bit like the pseudo-intellectual I hoped to be. When the drama was taking place in real time, however, I found myself lost. What was I doing in this trendy, expensive-looking place? I really should be traipsing back into my corner of the world, where girls converse with cats and boys spend their nights glued to PBA.

But I had a meeting to attend, for siomai's sake! To think, I was the one who thought of meeting at this place... And so I strolled to the counter, where I had to look at something other than the barista's dimples, and ordered a Tall Latte, considering it was worth exactly a hundred pesos. And then the wait. Thank God for O.Henry.

Moments after I had drained my cup of its contents, my groupmates arrived, looking windblown and hungry, but uncannily comfortable with the venue. And after they had ordered their coffee and cake and we had found a socket for the laptop, we started the meeting. Even with companions, I felt jittery. I felt like a lollipop in a jar full of coffee beans.

Fast forward to two hours later. I was sitting in one of the food shops in UP, concentrating on my mushroom-meat combo and not bothered by the fact that I was alone. Strangely, I felt at peace. I knew this was where I ought to be. This is what I should be doing. Yes, eating alone in a food shop that could pass for a typical photocopy place. And I didn't feel restless at all.

But I know I'll be back in that coffee shop again. Even if it kills me.

P.S. Does anyone know what an RSS Feed is? :( How on Earth do I install it in my blog?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

RSS (Really Simple Syndicate)

In blogger, add a page element, then click on feed. Type in the RSS Address, or in Internet Explorer there is an orange RSS button, if it's lit up there is a feed available.

Otherwise do a search for "Google Gadgets For Website" get there search for RSS and you will find some readers. Just paste in the code.

Anonymous said...

Well... uhhhmmm.. Ahahaha... Peace is very imfortant... ahaha

PS. Nakikinig ako ngayon sa Youtube dun sa BB Pilipinas... LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi sis thanks for dropping by my Blog sensya na kung late, Thanks for viewing my Profile in candymag...

beaple leone michaelmas said...

Patism: Thanks!

Mon: Nadedepress talaga ako 'pag napapanood ko yun! :(

Jojo: No biggie :)