Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Money Tree

Wala lang. I'm running out of money, waaah.


They say money isn't the root of all evil because it's love of money that drives everyone borderline crazy. I agree. Honestly, I'm quite materialistic as well and I just love carrying cute little plastic bags (sorry, Mother Earth) with lots of merchandise in them. I value cash because I don't have a lot of it - I don't have stocks either so don't get any ideas. Then there are also those rich kids (actually, in UP they're called cono but that's a swear word in Spanish so I don't use it because I belong to the department with the largest population of these guys) who don't value money much because they have too much of it. So it sort of inspires me when I hear stories of people (who don't have money AT ALL) who still share what they have.

For a moment forget the parable about the poor woman who gave the church a donation (it WAS a huge percentage of her economic profit so it really is quite admirable deed) and check this out:


There's a girl I met recently and at first she struck me as one of those party-girl types. She was chic, hip and she had her boyfriend wrapped around her pinkie so I branded her 'too cool to be
friendly with people who don't belong to her group'. That turned out to be one of the biggest
mistakes I've ever made in UP. Because yes, she does have great style and she does hang out with her own crowd most of the time but she isn't stereotypical. If she was stereotypical would she give a diabetes-ridden, half blind old man a large fraction of her free
time? Would she give him PhP 50.00 for his insulin fund even though she only had PhP 100.00 with her? Would she buy the same man a hotdog because she pitied him so much? Seriously, if she was shallow she wouldn't have walked into the dorm crying because she pitied the guy so much. And although other people were amused after listening to her story I must say I was deeply touched. Like seriously, hello?!?!?! How many people do that nowadays? At least now I know why her boyfriend's so in love with her. :D




Bottom line? The love of money destroys most of us but it also brings out the best in some of us. Sometimes, when there's money, there's love and usually that's the best combination there is.


Toodles! Poof...


P.S.
Cris Mendez is on the cover of The Collegian. We attended the protest that was held on the AS Steps for him, you know, and I was depressed when they started talking about his achievements. He could have contributed so much to the society and yet... Well, sayang lang jud. Really.




3 comments:

Pinoy Wit said...

who's chris mendes?

Pinoy Wit said...

never mind. read about him yesterday. what a pity

beaple leone michaelmas said...

Yup, sad, huh?