Wednesday, April 30, 2008

peter pan pains

April 30, 2008 ~ Wednesday ~ 5:49 PM
Purposefully missed Top 5 at 5


Ophelia,


Am too obvious to be real. Remember that group mate I told you about? The (eep!) cute one? Just made a fool of myself in front of him earlier this afternoon. Gawsh, he was sitting across me again and I spent our entire Peter Pan Meeting trying not to look at his eyes without appearing uncomfortable. Except I was exceptionally conscious, so I guess it must have soon. I wonder if he knows? Hmmm. Probably wouldn’t matter much. Some freshie feeling awkward in his presence won’t count much; perhaps he’s used to being fawned over all the bloody time.


I wonder if he attended his graduation without shaving? Hmmm. The rugged-look kind of clashes with ceremonies of most sorts.


Anyway, I’m having trouble writing my story. Yet again. I just realized earlier the plot I have in my head is kind of lame. Not just kind of but really. Too gasgas, if you get my drift. Either way, if you don’t, at least try to understand that I’m having trouble writing. Yet again. Urgh. So redundant.


Oh yes. It turns out my professor isn’t Bob Ong. At least that’s what my group mate said (yes, the infamous one). Still, I mustn’t be too gullible. Or otherwise. Basta.


To anyone who’s reading, what do you think about this: the most effective form of writing is one that resists dominant cultures in the society. Without resistance or deviance, there is no tension, there is no excitement, your writing will lack the so-called “X-factor”.


What do you think? I know some people believe in Art for Art’s Sake, but most classes I’ve attended take the more ‘purposeful’ side and insist that Art must have a clear goal. And I’m just wondering ‘cause most of the time I write for writing’s sake, you know? Just like one of my room mates, who writes about food and dinosaurs just because she feels like it. Only once have I tried to write with ‘resistance’ in mind and I found the experience harrowing. Nyeargh.


Your thoughts?
Beaple Leone Michaelmas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, it's great to write with resistance and all that but a writer can't be effective if he's obviously trying too hard. in the end, i still believe that writers should write from experience whether or not there is resistance there. if we aren't effective and we can't come across writing from experience alone then maybe writing isn't for us.

but of course, i do believe that writing with resistance can be learned

beaple leone michaelmas said...

yup. I think that's what my current lit class is trying to teach 'us'. Sigh. kind of hard to write with 'that' though.