Sunday, April 13, 2008

Of Stat and Snape

April 12, 2008 - Saturday
9:27 PM – Rm 122, Ilang Hall
Sleepy.

Dearest Nonexistent Reader,

Instead of going home for the summer like most people I know, I’m stuck miles away from my beloved Cagayan de Oro City, taking summer classes for God knows what purpose. Because I was unable to enroll myself in a major class (like the other 70+ people who had hoped of getting that coveted seat in a Stat 101 summer class), my load now consists of one GE and one PE subject. Hmmm, let’s think. Are those worth a tuition costing thousands of pesos, the hassle of transporting one’s stuff from Novaliches to Diliman, and not being able to hop on a plane and go white water rafting with one’s friends? I sure hope so.

Anyway, enough of that. I’d like to talk about something happier. Preferably topics that don’t involve scorching midday heat, money, and the perfectly flawed contraption otherwise known as CRS Online. In other words, nothing about summer classes in UP.

So. Happy topics. Erm – I just finished rereading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows1 earlier today. Although I didn’t cry upon reaching the last line (as I did the first time I finished it), I still felt this odd, empty emotion washing over me. I dunno. I felt like I had lost a friend. Like one of my arms had been axed off and would never be part of my anatomy again. I just felt so… sad. I think it’s because Harry has reached his end. So to speak.

Admittedly, at first, I only started reading the series out of curiosity. I remember the warm afternoon when my good friend Mary was lugging this gigantic, hardbound book to class, and I asked her what she was reading. She said ‘Harry Potter’ but I didn’t know what it was about so she began to talk about spiders that turned into whatever one feared most and stuff like that. What she said seemed like gibberish to me. But strangely, I felt drawn into it, even though I couldn’t understand the explanation at all. So the next time I visited a bookstore, and spotted a copy on the display shelf, I took it. And the rest is history. At least to me.

Point is, I’m not good at handling goodbyes. I’m not very good at dealing with people, period. That’s precisely why I value my books - and I believe yellowing, dog-eared pages and torn covers are NOT signs of neglect. My books, I’m sure, will never leave me. They don’t care if I can’t string two complete sentences without getting tongue tied or if I talk before I think or if I can’t crack a joke that any other human will find remotely amusing. They will always be there on my shelf, in my bags, in the boxes where I’ve kept them for their own protection. They will always be a part of me, and a part of me will always been in them.

To sum it up, I do not think my alternative topic was all that happy after all. It shows I see inanimate objects in an affection light, which isn’t very normal, methinks. Still I’ve written what’s on my mind as of the moment, and that is the most crucial part of blogging, no? As Gurkin, the People Punisher, from Sydney White says, “It’s not about being read. It’s about being written.”


Toodles! Poof…


1By order of my having read them, here are the chronicles of Harry Potter’s adventures and misadventures in the Wizarding World: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. All sprung from the forehead of JK Rowling. That is, there are her – um – ‘brainchildren’.

3 comments:

Pinoy Wit said...

sigh. sadly, i am not yet done even with the sixth book. but i know snape died. maybe that's the reason why i don't wanna go to book seven. :(

Unknown said...

if you guys what to laugh or you want to share your long kept jokes... try to visit pongpagong.com and from there you will find some words and stories to laugh with... i'll be waiting you there...

beaple leone michaelmas said...

thanks, deo. i'm a very corny person though so my jokes might cause... unwanted silence. punctuated with huh's and what's. but really, thanks.

and ma'am g, yes. it was depressing. the seventh book. and snape's death. ugh.